Saturday, February 28, 2009

Seeing You By Chance

Seeing You By Chance


Im in a coffee shop, reading my book, glancing up once in a while, soaking up the perfect ambiance of the cafe.  The next time I glance up, I see you walking over to the counter, ordering your coffee, I catch myself staring when your eyes wander around the room. Looking down at my book, trying to read the same line for the ninth time. I couldn't help myself when I looked up again. You take your coffee, heading out the door, while looking around the room once more. You catch my eye. I quickly look down. Feeling my face burn. I hear the door lightly close behind you, thinking to myself how stupid I can be.  Quietly laughing to myself, I sip my caramel latte. I would never see him again, and if I did, I wouldn't do anything about it, Im sure. 

The next day, I take the bus to class. Heading downtown to take the transfer, I struggle with my heavy bag, waiting for it to come. With my music playing lightly in my ears, my foot casually tapping to the beat, I caught something with the corner of my eye. It couldn't possibly be you...no. Your back turned to me, you slightly turn, your hand running through your hair casually as you smile, waiting to cross the street. Im stunned, trying to breathe again as you walk across the street. No way! The second time seeing you, but you never saw me. Funny.

Throughout the whole day I could not concentrate, blowing two midterm tests, my mind wandering elsewhere. I was imagining your eyes, looking straight into mine. I couldn't place what you were thinking about, being awed by the sight of your dark eyes. You walk towards me, the corner of your mouth hinting a smile. I look around me, sorry to take my eyes off you, thinking that you might be looking or walking towards someone else. Seeing no one, I look to you again, backing up slightly, bracing myself for nothing in particular. You're right in front of me now. Sightly taller than me, you look down into my eyes with such intensity, I had to look away, my heart skipping a beat. Your hand comes up lifting my chin, I hesitate, but your hand is still there lightly lifting my chin. You search for my eyes while I feel your other hand coming around to the small of my back. I involuntarily move forward while your hand lightly presses, drawing towards you. How is it that I am feeling so comfortable in your arms? A complete stranger? But no, you don't feel like a stranger to me. I feel that  have known you for the longest time, but only seeing each other for the first. Your dark eyes...still searching...looking for an answer of a question that he had on his mind for the longest time. Your mouth opens slightly, wanting to say the words...something. We stare at one another for a few seconds...twenty one...twenty two...twenty three...finally, you breathlessly say, 'Hi.' I jump, startled to hear your voice. I laugh at myself, feeling my lips stretch into a smile,  quietly saying hi back. Wondering what to do next, you shift towards my right side, standing beside me, still holding my glance. Your arm wraps around my waist, fitting there, like the perfect final puzzle piece. My heart skips a couple times, my hand involuntarily goes to my chest, making sure my heart isn't falling out. You glance around, and looking back at me quickly, your eyes searching once again. You lean forward, towards the side of my face, your face lightly pressing into mine, you whisper into my ear, 'Where have you been?' I shiver when I feel your warm breath on my neck. I sharply inhale, realizing I stopped breathing. Taking a split second to catch my breath, I, breathlessly still, reply, 'It doesn't matter where I was. I'm here now...' You tighten your hold around my waist, maybe as reassurance that I won't disappear, and whisper to me, 'Yes, yes you are.' Pulling back, you look into my eyes again. You walk forward, lightly taking me with you. We walk into step, never taking our eyes off each other. I don't know where you're taking me but all I know is that I never wanted to leave your side. 

Different, yet similar scenes kept replaying in my mind. My friends, bewildered by my dazed looks, stopped interrupting my thoughts knowing that Ill go under this trance once again and many times thereafter. They quietly laugh at me, when they see me laugh or smile to myself. But I don't care, mollified by the thought that they may not feel this way now, but they will get their chance soon enough, or maybe never. I was starting to scare myself, not knowing if Ill ever stop thinking about this person, who I only saw quick glances of. A complete stranger. A person who I may not see again, but I was desperately wishing I will. What if I don't want to stop thinking about him? What does that imply? That I want to meet him? That Im going crazy with these little...fantasies that replay in my mind over and over again? Whatever its does imply, my imagination is running wild at the moment and Im loving every minute of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment